Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Day Twenty Three: Something Old

When my grandmother passed away earlier this year, it became very apparent to all of us as we sorted through all of the stuff in her home, that nobody knew what was 'really old and valuable' vs the junk she bought on QVC. She had a huge china cabinet full of dishes...some old and some she bought on sale at Dillards. None of us did a very good job of getting those details before she died so we'd know what had sentimental value (her great grandmother's biscuit jar vs the biscuit jar her crazy friend from Clifton gave her). We did find some things that we were certain were old or had some sentimental value to them...one being something that I wanted badly...not sure why, but it reminds me of my Papa so much. He died 24 years ago...but the memories I have of him growing up will last forever.

My 'something old' is a picture is of his lighter...it's obviously old and has no fluid left, but it still smells a bit like it used to when my Papa used it. He retired from Owens-Illinios, as well as my dad and my dad's mom...so it has a lot of 'value' to me.



2 comments:

Betty said...

I'm so glad you got that. You can certainly tell he used it.

~Shelly~ said...

I didnt know you had a blog!
I remember your grandma's china cabinet & how it used to rattle when the train went by! She was such a sweet lady!