My sweet girl is growing up. I can physically see how tall she is growing. I can feel it in my checking account when she grows out of all of her clothes and shoes and we have to buy new ones. I can measure her on the doorframe of the closet to see how she compares to me and Brad at her age. But, I don’t actually ‘get’ it…it doesn’t actually hit home that she is growing up every single day and becoming more and more of an ‘older’ child with ‘older’ tendencies until I hear about her doing something that she did last night. Wow…it’s amazing what little things make you realize how fast time really does go. My Megan is growing up…and that is bitter sweet for me.
I wasn’t in Waco to witness this last night, I got the details from nonie, but it is just too cute not to blog about. Megan had a ‘first’ last night. She called her friend from school just to chat. Her friend had written down her number for Megan yesterday at school so Megan decided to call her.
Phone ringing…friend’s mom answers…
Megan: “Hi, Do you know Caroline? May I speak to her please?”
How funny is that? ‘Do you know her?’ That cracks me up. Nonie said that they talked about 10 minutes. They talked about other girls from school and how they needed to get their phone numbers also so that they could all call each other. They discussed what they were having for dinner. They discussed where Megan was staying last night and why. So cute…I can’t wait to listen to one of these conversations.
I cherish every moment that I have with Megan. I sometimes just watch her and look at her in amazement…I can’t imagine what life would be like without her. I don’t know what we would all do on the weekends if we didn’t have her to ‘live’ for. I miss her as a baby, but I would miss her even more now without her funny sayings, her funny personality that keeps us cracking up at her. I love her age right now and sometimes think about what it will be like in a few more years. I hate that she is growing up so fast…the ‘bitter’…but I love the fact that as she grows, she becomes more and more of her own person, with her own ideas…the ‘sweet’. I will admit that the ‘own ideas’ aspect gets a little annoying at times when we are trying to get dressed to go somewhere and her choice of clothing clashes with my idea…when I want to take a nap or watch a movie and she wants to play with her Barbie dolls…when I want to play office or school and she feels the need to tell me every thing I’m supposed to say or do and if it’s not perfect, she corrects me and tells me to start over. She and I have always had an amazing relationship and a very special bond but it seems like it just continues to get stronger. She wants to be just like me…to wear the same clothes I wear…to wear my jewelry…to wear my shoes. (who could blame her, really?) It is so fun to watch her idolize me…but honestly it makes me want to be that much better of a person…it makes me want to be the perfect role model for her. I can’t wait to watch her continue to grow up and become a teenager. Yes, I’m sure there will be all kinds of issues with that, but how fun will it be (I hope) to encourage her to be a good person, to watch her go through the boy phase (fortunately we are still in the ‘boys are icky’ phase but I have a feeling that won’t be for too much longer…I sure keep hearing the name Dillon a lot lately), to help build her confidence and teach her how to be a good friend...the list goes on and on. I can’t wait to be the aunt that she confides in and comes to for advice. Although, this weekend she asked me what ‘those purple things’ were that I had in my bag. I tried to pretend that I didn’t know she was asking about my tampons but it didn’t work. She said, “I’ve seen those at my mom’s house and you have them to”. I said, “um, nothing, you’ll figure it out when you get older. They are for older girls”. She said, “just tell me aunt kellie”. Um…yeah, I choked…not ready for that yet!
She is my girl and always will be. We dance together. We laugh together. We say our prayers at night together. We are THE boss hog duo (unless Lisa is around of course). We have fun together. And I hope nothing ever changes that. I love my Megan!
The right words...
5 months ago
2 comments:
she's so sweet. she needs to come back to dallas.
you need to video-tape one of her phone conversations. i am sure that would be adorable.
also, teach her three-way calling. she'll definitely be an oakley if she is the first at her school to do that.
OH NO! She's calling friends to chat. So are you getting her her own line at Nonnie's? She's going to need it, if she wants to be cool like me!
She reminds me so much of somebody I know...can't quite put my finger on it...but she is definitely like somebody....hmmmm....
Tell her I said, "Hey hey hey!" ...oh and "Hook 'em Horns!"
Post a Comment